Monday, November 8, 2010

Weekly Literary Meme

My friend and former editor Emily of Red Fork State of Mind has started a weekly literature meme for us crazy bloggers. I couldn’t resist participating. I'm a little late because I gave this a lot of thought. Here is the inaugural topic:

All things being single, if you could date any five literary characters, who would they be, and why?
Go here to check out her answers. Mine are below, in ascending order:

5. Algernon Moncrieff, The Importance of Being Earnest: I just like him. I find him whimsical and silly and foppish. I would like to take ether frolics with him in the bucolic English countryside before tea and croquet time.

4. George Emerson, A Room with a View: Socially awkward, yes, but he’s a good guy, and he loves Lucy the way she is. He doesn’t bully or bore her, and he’s open and honest about his thoughts and feelings. I like that in a man.

3. Nick Carraway, The Great Gatsby: In some ways, Nick’s kind of lame. He talks little of himself and was strangely fascinated by Gatsby. However, I like to think of him as somewhat humble rather than wimpy, and his affair with Jordan Baker clearly indicates he likes his women a little unruly. Plus, his handling of their relationship – hints rather than details – shows how respectful he is. My appreciation for his character may also derive from my wildly inappropriate childhood crush on Sam Waterston, who played him in the Mia Farrow/Robert Redford film.

2. Robbie Turner, Atonement: I just read the book this year, but I fell in love with this character. He is so honest and real, and I appreciate his ambitious nature and comfort in his own skin. He is also fearless, strong, and a friend to his crazy mother and the silly Tallis family. Even when things go really, really wrong, he handles himself with dignity and composure. And love, of course. The romantic in me is a sucker for enduring passion.

1. Theodore “Laurie” Laurence, Little Women: Laurie’s my ultimate dream literary character. He is smart, sensitive, loyal, artistic, and loving. He likes his women independent and strong, which was not exactly typical of the 19th century. He has a heart of gold, and he came out of his moody, pouty period full of strength and humility. Plus, his dark hair and eyes sound super sexy.

As much as I love Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre, I would rather be celibate than date either of the male leads. I just wanted to throw that out there before someone mentioned that I forgot Mr. Darcy. Colin Firth is a hottie, but the character is so not my type.

I plan to post my responses to her second topic this week. I hope you'll play along!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, I'm so with you on Laurie! I could never fathom why Jo would refuse him. Of course, I envision him as Christian Bale and --meow! I actually watched this movie the other day to get in the mood for making christmas dolls. I came away thinkg 1) that movie is super cheesy and only saved by how gorgeous it is and 2) I'm pretty sure I'm raising Amy March....
I have to say I love Mr. Darcy though. I just see him as socially awkward but willing to do the right thing and do right by his friends...even if sometimes they dont need his help ;)

Robin Thomas said...

Brigid, you're neat.

สล็อตเว็บตรง said...

สล็อตเว็บตรง โบนัสแตกบ่อยฝากถอนไม่มีขั้นต่ำ ผ่านระบบอัตโนมัติสะดวกสบายเล่นได้ทุกที่เกมสล็อตทำเงินให้คุณแบบไม่อั้น PG SLOT เว็บตรงแตกง่าย จัดเต็มทดลองเล่นได้เลยที่ pg-slot.game

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Hello! Welcome to my blog, which I run in conjunction with my Etsy shop, greyeyedesigns.etsy.com. Here, I'll track things I'm working on, do reviews and interviews, and offer advice and information. Thanks for stopping by!

Your humble blogger

Your humble blogger
dreamhost coupons