Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Metal!

I LOVE my metalsmithing class. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I wish I could go to it three times a week instead of just one. (That's not just because my instructor is a hottie either. Oops! Did I just write that?)

Yesterday, we completed our first project, a sterling-silver ring. I showed you the shaped and soldered version, but feast your eyes on the finished version:

Photobucket

Ooo, it's so sexy. You can see the soldered part towards the left, but I think I did a pretty good job of covering it, considering this is the first piece I've ever made. To achieve the final look, I filed down the pointiness from my novice soldering, rubbed it up with sandpaper, added texture with a chasing hammer (yet another reason to love those things), and then put it in a jewelry tumbler. I love it! Action shots:

Photobucket

Oooooooooooooo!

Photobucket
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
I feel so accomplished. We're working on another ring and a silhouette pendant next time. Sooo fun!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Hello! Welcome to my blog, which I run in conjunction with my Etsy shop, greyeyedesigns.etsy.com. Here, I'll track things I'm working on, do reviews and interviews, and offer advice and information. Thanks for stopping by!

Your humble blogger

Your humble blogger
dreamhost coupons