Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Random Dozen

I’m playing along again!

1. Please share one memory of your high school graduation. Pics would be great!
At my high-school graduation, I was sick as a dog. I had a migraine with all the works: churning stomach, throbbing head, burning eyes, and the intense desire to lie down. Unfortunately, I was the valedictorian, so I had a speech to make. (I guess “unfortunately” isn’t a great choice of words.) I was also one of the students who had to sit on the stage, and because I was first in my class, I was between the principal and the superintendent of the district. Gulp. I also have a really small head, so my durn cap kept falling off my head. The whole ceremony was a blur of discomfort, awkwardness, and a major desire to get the crap out of there. That will be eight years ago on Saturday. Here’s a long-distance shot of me giving my valedictory address:
And here’s me four years later (and, fittingly, four years ago on Friday) at my college graduation (with my alphabetical-order buddy). I'm on the right, waving to my adoring public:

2. What is one "emergency use" item you keep in your vehicle at all times?
I try to keep a five-dollar bill in my car, but really, in an emergency, I’d be screwed unless CDs and trash could save me.

3. In your region, do you celebrate graduation open houses? Addendum: (If so,) how many open houses/bridal showers/weddings are on your upcoming events calendar?
I read that as “religion,” not “region” at first. Oy. We didn’t have open houses, but there was a party. I was sick, though, so I didn’t go to one. I have nothing on my calendar either since most of my friends aren’t in school, and I have no children.

4. Tell me one truth you believe about motherhood.
It will require me to gain more patience and operate on less sleep.

5. What was the last thing you broke?
I honestly don’t remember. It can’t have been that long ago, though. I’m clumsy. I broke the skin on my finger on Saturday getting something big into my car. Does that count?

6. On average, how many pieces of junk mail do you receive daily?
One or two.

7. Do you like to shop by catalog?
I like to look at catalogs, but it’s been years since I ordered from one.

8. Is lawn maintenance at your house a "his job," a "her job" or "his/her job" or "that's why we have teenagers" job?
It’s an “I live in an apartment complex, so it’s their” job. :)

9. Which room would you like to redecorate in your home?
Provided I was allowed to do things such as paint, I guess I’d choose the guest room/computer room/glorified storage closet.

10. Do you read a newspaper regularly, or do you read most of your news on line?
No, I quit reading the print version of the Tulsa World when they laid me and all my friends off. I rarely read it online either because their suckage has increased exponentially in recent years. I don’t really know how I stay informed.

11. Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
No, I think sometimes bad things happen to good people and vice versa. We control how we respond to such events.

12. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
I’m a perfectionist, but doing the right thing is definitely most important to me. That’s part of why I work for a nonprofit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was so much fun to read; you should continue these!

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Hello! Welcome to my blog, which I run in conjunction with my Etsy shop, greyeyedesigns.etsy.com. Here, I'll track things I'm working on, do reviews and interviews, and offer advice and information. Thanks for stopping by!

Your humble blogger

Your humble blogger
dreamhost coupons