Friday, October 31, 2008

It's birthday time!

Today is my little sister's 10th birthday. I can't believe it! I was 14 when she was born, a freshman in high school. I remember being so excited to hear about the birth that I called everyone I could think of even though I didn't have very many friends. I came to high school only knowing one other person, so my address book was awfully small until later that year. My dad took my brother -- 2 1/2 at the time -- and me to meet Sarah. I had Jacob hold out his finger so Sarah would grab it. When she did, he got the most disgusted look on his face I'd ever seen him have. He pulled away, and grabbed my leg. I don't think he was excited to have her come home to stay, but he quickly warmed. When she was diagnosed with autism around 6 years old, he became the protective older brother I wanted as a little girl. She still drives him crazy -- especially the more she progresses with speech and age-appropriate behaviors -- but he loves her. We all do. She's the sweetest little girl you could ever meet. She's all smiles and sillies. Ever since my dad's girlfriend moved in, her behavior, speech, and cognitive skills have improved exponentially. She now spends half days in the special-ed class and the other half in the fourth-grade class. She's a little behind her classmates, but I have no doubt she can catch up. I love you, Sarah Bear! Happy birthday!


And for the sake of fairness, here's my brother Jacob, who is 12, and my stepsister/dad's girlfriend's daughter Kaity, who is 13.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Hello! Welcome to my blog, which I run in conjunction with my Etsy shop, greyeyedesigns.etsy.com. Here, I'll track things I'm working on, do reviews and interviews, and offer advice and information. Thanks for stopping by!

Your humble blogger

Your humble blogger
dreamhost coupons