Monday, October 27, 2008

Royal inspiration

I saw The Duchess last week, and ever since my mind's been swimming with ideas. In the movie, Keira Knightley wears all kinds of gorgeous and outrageous clothing and accessories, much like Kirsten Dunst in Marie Antoinette. (It turns out that the two title characters were friends in real life. Makes perfect sense!) What really struck me were these gorgeous necklaces she wore. Many were dripping with gemstones, but some were made with lush, dainty fabrics sewn together and worn close to the neck. One in particular that caught my eye was made from pink velvet and lace. If you've seen the film, Georgiana wears it early on in her friendship with Bess, when they're in Bath. It ties in a large bow at the back of her neck. I went crazy for her accessories, so last weekend, I made a visit to Joann and bought ribbon: black and red velvet, solid white with flowers, translucent ecru, and cream lace. I also got some little white "pearl" beads to embellish. All I have to do is clear enough space on my craft table to reach my sewing machine. Easier said than done. I'll have pictures as soon as I have a finished project.

2 comments:

Stela said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. I sometimes see movies for the costumes instead of the plot.

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Hello! Welcome to my blog, which I run in conjunction with my Etsy shop, greyeyedesigns.etsy.com. Here, I'll track things I'm working on, do reviews and interviews, and offer advice and information. Thanks for stopping by!

Your humble blogger

Your humble blogger
dreamhost coupons