Friday, May 2, 2008

Give yo mama a kiss!

Moms are a wonderful thing, and none is greater than mine. (Sorry, it's true!) Mother's Day must be one of the greatest holidays around because not only does it honor the most important woman in most of our lives, but it's the perfect excuse to give homemade gifts, something all us crafty folks just love.

When I was a child (I can't say "little" because I'm still pretty small, and I can't say "young" because my decade-older boyfriend always reminds me that 23 is still young), I always made things for my mom for Mother's Day. My favorite medium was paper, mostly because that was the only crafty thing I knew about. I would create all kinds of things using paper: drawings, cards, signs, and once even a purse. Yes, a construction-paper purse held together with staples. I was probably 7 and convinced it was the most beautiful purse there ever was. I remember lots of pink. I was so proud to give it to my mother but so perplexed as to why she didn't carry it. She assured me to use it for a "special occasion," something I heard a lot as I created jewelry covered in glitter and paper clothes for her.

Mother's Day is May 11 this year, just 16 days before my mom's birthday. I try to stay on top of both these holidays (birthdays are definitely holidays) to make sure I get something good for both, but it can be difficult. So instead of making everthing for birthday and Mother's Day, I'll also be purchasing handmade. I don't think Mom reads this, but you can never be too careful, so I'll not reveal what I've purchased for her. Instead, here are a few great gift ideas from some wonderful Etsy sellers in no particular order.

1. Does your mom love to cook? Then check out Snappy Shop! She creates awesome, ironic, and adorable aprons, as well as a few other sewn items. My personal favorite is the Bacon and Eggs Pocket apron (though I'd probably be more likely to pick up the vegetarian version).
2. Is there a new mom in your life? Head over to Rainbow Swirlz! Designer Mendy creates hilarious onesies perfect for young, hip moms. My favorite one reads: My entire lifeis being blogged. Her store also features a line of really cool, screenprinted tote bags perfect for hauling books, baby items, or anything.
3. Does your mom love jewelry? There are so many great jewelry artists on Etsy I can recommend! From JD Star's woven bracelets and The Storybeader's haiku-inspired necklaces, to Gems by Emily M.'s classic designs and Bargain Basement's whimsical pendants, you'll have no trouble catering to her taste on Etsy. (There's always my shop, too, but I didn't want to be inappropriate by including myself in the list. Wait, did I just do that?)
4. What's a jewelry fiend to do with all her treasures? Go buy a jewelry scroll from Chaos Into Art! I've seen these in person, and they are both handy and dandy. Shop owner Jessie is a really great, innovative artist, and your mom will love the scroll.
5. Is your mom a plant lover with a brown thumb? Then head over to Orion Eclipsed Photography for a print of artist Holly's beautiful photographs! She has prints available of sunflowers, Crape-myrtles and more.
6. Does your mom love sewn items with old-fashioned flair? Raggedy Pageant makes beautiful collage quilts that are perfect for any mom. From fun and whimsical to boldly ironic, Robin makes it all. Her unique dolls would also make the perfect addition to any collector's treasury.
7. Is Mom a hat lady or even a member of the Red Hat Society? Boring Sidney has an array of beautiful headpieces for sale, including this Adorable Cloche of Red that I've been coveting since, oh, forever. The shop also features pieces ranging from classic '40s styles to fascinators and gothic fashions.
8. Encourage your mom to keep in touch with a set of stationery from Enfin, La Voila! Her pieces range from whimsical to kitschy, perfect for a variety of moms. More classicly minded moms might enjoy the butterfly generator set, while those with a sillier sense of humor might fall for the "I'm too sexy for this card" set.
9. Make the mom in your life queen for the day with a crown from Up from the Ashes. Her fascinating designs range from regal to delicate to just plain amazing.
10. What dignified lady doesn't need a beautiful bag? Ophelia Miller makes a variety of bags featuring beautiful fabrics in useful designs. From clutches to totes, her shop will suit all your purse needs.

Don't forget the card! A Scrappy Design has you covered with this one.

So to all the moms out there, Happy Mother's Day! To all the shoppers, get cracking! And to all the crafters, good luck, and don't make a purse out of paper if you have delicate feelings. :)

5 comments:

Jessie said...

This is a great list! Thank you so much for the mention and the kind words!

Jessie

GemsByEm said...

Hey girl! Thanks so much for featuring me in your blog! I'm bookmarking it so I can come back and read your new entries. Hope you have a great weekend!

Brigid said...

You're both welcome. You make such wonderful things. :)

storybeader said...

Go Shopping for Mom on Etsy! What a nice post and recognition for bunches of oketsiers!

Anyway, lots of fun and thought went into it. AND your mom IS great!

Serendipity Collections said...

What a wonderful way to showcase so many creative people! Loved your post (btw, my mom is the best - LOL)

Jana

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Hello! Welcome to my blog, which I run in conjunction with my Etsy shop, greyeyedesigns.etsy.com. Here, I'll track things I'm working on, do reviews and interviews, and offer advice and information. Thanks for stopping by!

Your humble blogger

Your humble blogger
dreamhost coupons