Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Brr! It's cold out there!

Tulsa is now experiencing its annual (I wish I were kidding) ice storm. Parts of town have 1/4" of ice on the ground, and the areas south have closer to half an inch. Yikes! Luckily, it still pales in comparison with December 2007 when powerlines snapped under the inch of ice covering them, and much of the eastern part of the state was without power for a week or more. So far, there are no outages in my area. Thank goodness! Our current apartment doesn't have a gas water heater like our old one did, so I'd be extra cold if we had a no-electricity repeat.

I took the dog out this morning, which she absolutely hates when there's anything wet or cold on the ground. I hope to get video of how hilariously she walks on the icy grass, but for now I only have a couple of photos from my apartment complex to share.

This is the nice blue view from my front door at 7:10 this morning. There was a layer of sleet on top of the ice, so it looked like snow but was, in fact, frozen yuckiness. I was one of the first people to leave my apartment, it seemed. Sully and I took our hilarious walk (with her prancing strangely and me wearing knee-high socks, men's sweatpants, galoshes from the kids' department, a long-sleeved T-shirt, gloves that say "Baby Girl" on the palms, a scarf, a hat, and my giant wool coat), doing our best to avoid the slick spots. Other pet owners hadn't been so brave yet, so her tiny prints were the only ones out there. See:


They're so cute and little! I wish I had brought her to work with me (though I'm sure the other two people in my department would have objected). Instead, she's all warm and adorable at home with Grey, who took the day off. Lucky! I'm in the office, slaving away as usual (i.e. writing a grant in between blog posts and Twitter updates and while listening to my MySpace playlist).

I hope everyone else in the area is keeping warm and safe. The roads are still pretty dern bad, so stay off them if you can. If you're feeling philanthropic, bring me a large cheese pizza, and I'll be your best friend. ;)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Aw, I didnt know you had a puppy too! Maybe she and Henry can be BFFs? Stay warm today! I'm all huddled up in my quilt stash I use for craft show table cloths....

About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
Hello! Welcome to my blog, which I run in conjunction with my Etsy shop, greyeyedesigns.etsy.com. Here, I'll track things I'm working on, do reviews and interviews, and offer advice and information. Thanks for stopping by!

Your humble blogger

Your humble blogger
dreamhost coupons